diver.net

Largest octopus ever...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on May 04, 2014 at 09:05:33:

They say that nobody on their death bed ever says they should have spent more time at work. I've been working overtime for what seems like an eternity and was supposed to work on Saturday.
The swell models predicted flat seas for the first time in a few weeks so I told my boss I couldn't come in. The seas weren't as flat as predicted and the water at Merry's Reef was dark and dirty,
but I would have missed an incredible find had I worked instead.

The dive began as most of ours do. We dropped down and asked each other which way the reef was. Particulates filled the water so photography was going to be challenging. Once we found the
wall I began exploring for subjects. We've dived this reef enough to know where to find various animals. Nudibranchs were not out and about, so I decided to concentrate on rockfish. They don't
seem to mind the strange creatures with bright lights stalking them.

After an uneventful dive I made my way back to the anchor. I saw a strobe flash a few feet away and decided I had enough air to give it a quick look. Kevin Lee was shooting what looked like a juvenile
Giant Pacific Octopus. I've only heard of one other sighting in Southern California so I knew I had to get a few shots. After looking at my monitor later I realized it was a two-spot octopus, Octopus bimaculoides.
It was the size of a soccer ball. Neither Kevin nor I had seen one that large. I was excited and disappointed at the same time.

We made a second dive at Golf Ball Reef, but despite the better visibility I wasn't getting any decent shots. The only one I kept was my last one of a flatfish near the anchor. We had hoped to get better photos
today but the swells are back to normal. Another day out of the water. Still, it beats being at work.

Photos at

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.