diver.net

San Miguel Island

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ralph S. Collier on July 01, 2014 at 13:48:34:

The following information is provided as a public service to your dive community. It is to inform those that might want to utilize this location over the next few months for their dives.

San Miguel Island — On July 1, 2014 Peter Howorth, Director of the Santa Barbara Marine Mammal Center reported the following;“I just got off the phone with Bob DeLong, a pinniped researcher at San Miguel Island since 1967. Apparently there's a lot of schooling fish between Cuyler Harbor and the east end of San Miguel. The sea lions, humpbacks, and sea birds are concentrated there. The sharks have discovered this as well. Usually the sharks appear about the second week of July, but they are already there, probably as part of the food web. Jeff Harris, one of the researchers, is reporting even larger numbers of sea lions bitten by white sharks, this time at the east end of the island. Last year they counted well over 300 animals attacked by sharks and this year apparently is much worse and more widespread. I'll forward more information when I can, but perhaps you can spread the word. If you have contacts with the urchin divers, please let them know as well.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to