diver.net

Re: Shark Attack at Manhatten Beach - I don't think so...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 06, 2014 at 18:46:31:

In Reply to: Shark Attack at Manhatten Beach - I don't think so... posted by Patrick on July 05, 2014 at 13:58:20:

As soon as i heard the blurb on the news, two scenarios immediately came to mind--1, the shark was in chest deep water that was turbid with zero vis and just swam into the guy, OR the shark was attached to a fishing line and swam into the swimmer. Juvenile GWs don't recognize people as food. They hang out off the beaches for one purpose--to feed on top smelt and grunion until their livers have stored a sufficient amount of oil. When that happens they move off and look for different prey--some prefer pinnipeds, (Faralon Islands) others prefer fish (Guadeloupe Island). The same way that some Orcas feed on pinnipeds and other families feed on fish. All of the Orcas in captivity came from pods that feed primarily on fish for obvious reasons. That shark had been in a panic for a long while, naturally it was going to swim with its mouth open wide as possible to replentish the oxygen from the struggle. Just so happen he swam straight into the hapless swimmer. Who now gets to spend the rest of his life as a Great White Shark attack survivor! (will prolly turn out to be the best thing that ever happen to the guy!) Not that i discount his injuries...

If you have ever walked out on any pier that allows fishing you already know how disgusting it is--hooks, line, decaying matter all about, injured birds etc. I don't understand how the authorities can continue to tolerate the mess as well as the bad element that creates it.The DFG needs to come down hard on those deniable poachers and wannabe fishermen heros-

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to