diver.net

Re: OK, how about my take on Begg Rock

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 18, 2014 at 15:35:19:

In Reply to: OK, how about my take on Begg Rock posted by seahunt on July 14, 2014 at 16:39:13:

The first time i went out there was back in '93. (the advent of the GPS opened up the world:) The wind was down, but the swell was up. I arrived at first light after an all night run. It was very foggy so as i approached i could hear the whistle buoy and the roar before you could see the rock. There was a huge swell running that day--a 12 foot solid wall of white water a hundred yards wide rushed over the rocks--i kept my distance and got some fun video of that incredible place at a really bad time to bet there..That was real energy--it was fantastic!

I've spent a few of nights out there over the years, It is always fascinating--the soulful whistle in the distance--the rush of the swells over the rocks..I was out there a few months ago and was going to spend the night drifting off the rock and down toward home..--the forecast was perfect, except for the reality on the surface- strong wind swept down just after sundown--i stowed all the gear and ran down to the sandspit and spent the night anchored in a gale wind...WHEW!

I was at Nic Tuesday and swam all over that reef--it was 68 with great vis--Wednesday morning the temp dropped 6 degrees and with the chlorophyll the vis dropped to about 10ft. What a difference a day makes...

Wish i could have met Begg...

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.