diver.net

Wake up and dive!

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 10, 2014 at 16:40:14:

I've been working overtime nearly every day since the first week in March. Sometimes I look forward to weekends of bad dive conditions just so I can try to catch up on lost sleep. This morning Merry woke me up from a nightmare. I was dreaming that I was at work. I heard her soft voice in the background telling me that we should go diving. Actually, it sounded like a fire alarm repeating the message One and a half foot at the buoy! The Torrance Beach camera shows flat water! I dragged my lazy butt out of bed and put my camera together in my half conscious haze.

For the past month Merry mentions looking for Felimare californiensis at Haggerty's every time we go diving. Visibility is usually poor there and photo ops are few and far between. I gave in today and checked out conditions. It looked as if we could see a few feet down the kelp so we jumped in.

Visibility was a nice fifteen feet as we began searching for the elusive slug. Kevin Lee found two on our last dive here. I gave the coordinates to Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle and they found a couple as well. I looked for about ten minutes before spotting a 1/4 inch little guy in a gray finger sponge.

photo Haggertys5_zpsd232e8a4.jpg

photo Haggertys6_zps4147f759.jpg

photo Haggertys1_zpse0a17f3b.jpg

photo Haggertys2_zps2fef1e10.jpg

photo Haggertys4_zpsc8f07502.jpg

photo Haggertys3_zpsd5eef3a1.jpg

In ninety minutes underwater I took 77 photos, deleting most of them before I opened Photoshop. Merry didn't find a Felimare but was very happy after the dive. It seems that she found several subjects. I'll have to look at her photos after my nap.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to