diver.net

Sand, Surge, Snails and Slugs

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 09, 2014 at 16:27:45:

photo Dive-Cold_zpsb187b2ab.jpg
Visibility was variable along Redondo Beach this weekend. We had excellent conditions on the Barge, but much of the marine life was missing. The sides of the barge have been wiped clean of the hydroids, nudibranchs and barnacles found there before. I ended the dive early due to a leaking mouthpiece, but I wasn't finding any interesting photo subjects anyway.

Our next dive was at Golf Ball Reef. Visibility here was not very good, but we found enough to keep us busy for an hour or so.

photo Sheephead1_zpsdf3ac31c.jpg

photo Lobsters-in-a-log_zpsdad12f6a.jpg

photo Hydroid_zps849806a8.jpg

photo Doto-amyra_zpsa9bd3076.jpg
Doto amyra

Merry suggested we dive shallow today, so we checked out Haggerty's. I didn't turn my camera on for the first fifteen minutes and considered aborting the dive due to boredom. I finally began finding some of the gray sponge favored by Felimare californiensis. The only nudibranch I found on the sponges and surrounding rocks was a single Mexichromis porterae.

photo Haggertys-9_zps9939acb1.jpg

photo Haggertys-11_zps5e9cd7a5.jpg

photo Haggertys-2_zps62770bd5.jpg

photo Haggertys-2_zps62770bd5.jpg

photo Haggertys-10_zps2e87b125.jpg

photo Haggertys-13_zps64a04eae.jpg
Eubranchus rustyus with eggs.

I saw a coffee bean snail, Trivia solandri fall from a rock. I watched for thirty minutes while it slowly extruded its mantle. I had to hang onto a rock with my left hand and operate my camera with my right to avoid being swept away with the surge. Visibility at Haggerty's was nice if you stayed off the bottom where a sand storm kept the area free of lush reefs.

photo Haggertys-3_zpsc20a7336.jpg

photo Haggertys-4_zpsb42c6113.jpg

photo Haggertys-5_zps01630205.jpg

photo Haggertys-8_zps04c02795.jpg

photo Haggertys-7_zps8cab9be6.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black