diver.net

Where Did This Visibility Come From?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 27, 2014 at 20:36:49:

We've been thwarted in our efforts to dive the past couple of weeks by wind, rain and large surf. My plan was to give the kelp off Palos Verdes an obligatory peek before heading across the channel for our biannual Catalina dive. I expected visibility to be close to zero after the recent weather, but we could see several feet down the kelp. Merry suggested we try Marineland, so we headed east.

The current was ripping but we could see at least thirty feet below the surface. We pulled our way down to Ted's Pinnacle where we were greeted by close to thirty feet of horizontal visibility. We could see the surface from sixty feet.

After checking out my old stomping grounds we surfaced to find Dylan Jones, owner of the bike and kayak concession at Terranea Resort with two customers. After chatting for a couple of minutes I told them about some dolphins behind them. They paddled to get a closer look when a Gray whale suddenly surfaced a few feet in front of them. They got their money's worth today.

We then checked out a reef I found on Google Earth. Overhanging ledges created a dramatic wall of lobster and rockfish. We spotted a few man made objects as well, including a large I-beam and bricks, possibly from the nearby Dominator wreck. The current was strong here as well. I expected it to die down during the first dive but we spent about three hours in it. If it brings in that kind of vis, I'll take it.

photo Marineland1_zpsaf866442.jpg
Jesus Blob

photo Marineland4_zpsa8dc883a.jpg
Our Lady of the Garden

photo Marineland2_zps372a4e57.jpg
Octocoral

photo RockyPoint6_zpsc77ec3e6.jpg

photo RockyPoint11_zps96166e26.jpg

photo RockyPoint10_zpsebafe3a9.jpg

photo RockyPoint7_zpsb31cbd93.jpg

photo RockyPoint13_zps8d4b77c5.jpg

photo RockyPoint9_zps0dcc33df.jpg

photo RockyPoint5_zps88b00dc4.jpg

photo RockyPoint8_zps936bcd57.jpg

photo RockyPoint3_zps47140caf.jpg

photo RockyPoint1_zps43b15240.jpg

photo RockyPoint2_zpsae6612b7.jpg

photo RockyPoint4_zpsf2db5a4a.jpg

photo Marineland3_zps79d1772f.jpg

photo Marineland5_zps7c4bd39d.jpg

photo RockyPoint14_zps520f6ed7.jpg
A day like today leaves us begging for more.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to