diver.net

You CAN shoot macro in a ripping current.

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on December 28, 2014 at 14:07:58:

With northeast wind hammering us on the west side of PV yesterday, Phil, Kevin, and I headed for the south side of PV. Once we were out of the wind the ocean was calm, but the kelp on Buchanan's Reef was horizontal. To get out of the current, we moved over to Ted's Pinnacle and dropped anchor. Just as we were about to jump, I noticed that we were smack dab in the center of a narrow current line. Good times! This meant that there might be some zooplankton in the current to shoot.

Not so much. We needed a granny line to get to the anchor rode, and a blistering westerly current stayed with us all the way to the bottom. Reminiscent of Cozumel, I thought. On the upside, viz was at least 30 feet, 59 degrees. We saw a school of sargo but not one pelagic gelatinous critter.

By the time we returned to the west side to check out a new site near Rocky Point, wind had died down. But again we were greeted by a stout current all the way to the bottom. As on the first dive, I hunkered down and worked on some very small stuff with my 105 mm lens.

This 3/16" Hopkin's Rose (Okenia rosacea) hasn't grown into its rhinophores yet.
 photo Okeniarosacea1_zps3007a017.jpg

Note the eye spot.
 photo Okeniarosacea2DSC_8824_zpsbde2c787.jpg

Kevin found this 1/4" Polycera atra laying eggs.
 photo PolyceraatraDSC_8828_zps5ac19677.jpg

A miniscule Doto amyra on the tube of an amphipod. (I can just barely make out the crustacean at the bottom of the tube). The low growing algae gives some sense of scale.
 photo DotoontubeDSC_8866_zps6a013095.jpg

Lots of beautiful worms at the Rocky Point site:

photo X-mastreewormDSC_8860_zps65d3d470.jpg

photo X-mastreewormDSC_8857_zpsf74b07ca.jpg

photo X-mastreewormDSC_8856_zps8ac7def1.jpg

photo WormDSC_8848_zps4358ade5.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: