diver.net

diminished kelp???

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brad on February 23, 2015 at 17:04:10:

In Reply to: Re: Monterey Diving posted by Patrick on February 23, 2015 at 08:03:04:

i will tell you what diminishes kelp-- THE LIVE TRAP FISHERY!

Do any of you remember the great kelp paddy fishing in the late 90's?

That floating kelp was the remnants of the historical kelp forests on the N/W side of Santa Barbara island and the West end of San Clemente Island and the west end of San Nicolas, even PV and Catalin were RAVAGED!--

the live trap fishery took a RAMPAGE throught southern californal it OUR environment has never recovered!

that is what happened to the kelp--it wasn't elnino, or some mysterious current--it was the traps laid directly in the kelp that detached the footings every time they were retreived; machettes in wait to chop off the heavy footings so the trap could be brought on board--Receivers strategically located to hold the week days catch until the weekend when civilians would show up so they were long gone toward the market on a friday night! If you want to know what happpened to YOUR kelp--look at the trap fishery--THE Singular most destructive fishery in the history of this state!

I WELCOME any challengers to my forthright condemnation of that fishery!

i've logger over 120,000nm miles in the bight since 1985-- i WATCHED it happen..

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to