diver.net

Dive2K

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on March 07, 2015 at 20:30:33:

After more than twenty-five years of certification I finally rolled my logbook odometer over today. Two thousand dives seems like so little for the amount of diving I do, but there were years when I was barely able to get in three dozen dives. The ocean cooperated today and allowed us to make two dives on the south side of Palos Verdes.

I told Merry I wanted to dive the Garden Spot and then Marineland where I have made 389 of my 2000 dives. She was disappointed that we wouldn't be diving with the tiny Corambes up in the kelp. Much to her surprise, we found more at the Garden Spot than we ever have at Golf Ball Reef. The place was crawling with critters.

The Garden Spot is proof that MPAs work. It is located within the Abalone Cove State Marine Conservation Area. We saw more large lobsters than we've seen anywhere. For a reef the size of a bus, three divers could easily catch their limit on one dive.

The highlight of the dive for me was finding a windmill worm feeding in its web. I see the windmill and tube home of the worm all the time, but this was the first time I've seen the worm.

photo Garden Spot 3_zpstr5d4sf5.jpg

photo Garden Spot 2_zps3zappzsm.jpg

photo Garden Spot 1_zpsrwtzhefg.jpg

photo Garden Spot 4_zps3d53byla.jpg

photo Garden Spot 5_zpsu8akzn8l.jpg

photo Garden Spot 6_zpslaaj1vdd.jpg

photo Garden Spot 7_zps36jdjbjr.jpg

photo Garden Spot 8_zpskahyfjs2.jpg

photo Garden Spot 10_zps5ywh7dra.jpg

photo Garden Spot 11_zpsyot5iuvr.jpg

photo Garden Spot 14_zpslvs6babi.jpg

photo Garden Spot 12_zpslfv3dixj.jpg

photo Garden Spot 13_zpsjc2ujuyq.jpg

We moved over to Marineland for our next dive to search for Mantis shrimp. The search was unsuccessful but the dive was nice. I found a tiny Hopkin's Rose and wished I had the 105mm lens that Merry was using.

photo Marineland 1_zpsphe7v4pz.jpg

photo Marineland 2_zpst81igkjo.jpg

photo Marineland 3_zpsy98zj90d.jpg

photo Marineland 4_zpsat38pp8s.jpg

photo Marineland 5_zpsbp90prm7.jpg

photo Marineland 9_zpskain4xd6.jpg

photo Marineland 10_zps21c0twuj.jpg

photo Marineland 7_zps3myr0jv8.jpg

photo Marineland 8_zpsyqqpxki6.jpg

On our way home we found blue water between Pt. Vicente and Rocky Point. We'll be back out tomorrow to begin working on the next thousand dives.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to