diver.net

Day of Low Adventure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 13, 2015 at 16:30:49:

It's been four weeks since my last dive. I wonder if there is a SCUBA form of clinical depression. I've been spending most of my days working overtime and spending the remaining time in a dentist chair. Our mechanics have spent more time on our boat that we have recently. After replacing some cables and part of a motor housing we were finally going to get back in the water today. I had to tell my boss that I was busy. He wanted me to work again.

With great trepidation we slowly motored out of King Harbor. Just after pushing the throttles forward the starboard motor died. It would crank but not turn over. The port motor would not even crank. After trying for a minute we anchored near the Redondo Beach buoy and waited an hour for Vessel Assist to tow us back to our slip.

We called the mechanics who were nice enough to come right over. We got the motors started and went for a sea trial. Everything was fine until we got back in the slip. The same problems occurred. Mechanic Steve found a crimp in the starboard fuel line under the high pressure filter. He then discovered a sticking neutral safety switch on the port motor. We finally had enough trust in the boat to head out for the third time today.

We made one dive before coming back in, but we made it back without issues. We'll try for a better day tomorrow. As far as conditions go, we had blue water over Golf Ball Reef, although it was a dark fifteen feet of visibility on the bottom. 54° at depth felt pretty nice after the cold dives of last month.

photo GBR1_zpslbgrxksn.jpg

photo GBR4_zpsbxlwpofs.jpg

photo GBR2_zpsuqeuixon.jpg

photo GBR3_zpscsfgjile.jpg

photo GBR5_zps7vnpdgya.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black