diver.net

What would you do about an overfilled AL80?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nitrox36 on November 02, 2015 at 21:10:34:

I recently returned from a week in the Caribbean diving at a PADI 5 star resort. Had a great time. There were a couple of times that my buddy and I had tanks (AL80's) with fills in excess of 3400 PSI. When we got those tanks we thought "cool! more bottom time' However reflecting on it later I was wondering if I should have even touched those tanks. Where these bombs ready to go off? I wanted to throw it out here for discussion. What would you have done? or what should we have been done? Should we have raised this to the operator? Not too surprising many of the tanks we had that week had "fuzz leaks" around the valve stems.

Also for some of the question the tanks were not hot and had not just come off the fill station. The tank pressures were verified by stand alone Pressure gauges and our own SPGs which all agreed. We got the high fills 2 separate days. the remaining days we'd typically got tanks filled from 2900 to 3100 PSI.

I am here to ask the question so nothing bad happened this time, but was thinking about it and thought I'd throw the question out.

Cheers

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.