diver.net

May Gray

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on May 14, 2016 at 15:15:26:

Merry said the wind came up early and strong yesterday so we planned to make an early start this morning. My eyes didn't want to open so we slept in a bit. We paid for that later.

Underwater conditions were great again as we enjoyed twenty-five feet vis on the crane near Haggerty's. The red algae that covered everything last year is gone, but so were most of the critters. We only found a couple of Spanish Shawls but no yellowfin fringeheads. The moray eels were nowhere to be seen although a few locals remained. Rubberlip perch cruised in their usual spot in the kelp as well as under the crane. Garabaldis are nesting on the tires and gear wheels again. The one highlight was a school of black croakers but they only came close when we weren't looking. I managed one shot from just in strobe range before they thumbed their fins at me.

The water continues to cool. We had 52° which is normal for Palos Verdes this time of year. We surfaced in time to see wind waves everywhere. We called it a day after one dive. We'll try to get out at Zero Dark Thirty tomorrow.

photo Haggertys 1_zpsq9eulces.jpg

photo Haggertys 2_zpsdw848ma7.jpg

photo Haggertys 3_zpsa6boqa9h.jpg

photo Haggertys 4_zpscfhojx5t.jpg

photo Haggertys 5_zpsas0o0p05.jpg

photo Haggertys 7_zpskzbqlo8x.jpg

photo Haggertys 9_zps676mdrak.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title: