diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Why?????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 18, 2016 at 16:13:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why????? posted by Jeff on June 17, 2016 at 22:21:51:

Wow!. Scuba Diving is sure a booming business., Once you open a shop, the money just rolls in. That's why so
may have closed. They made all the money they could handle and just figured they might as well close down.
I will make an observation that there are two markets. One for local divers, as we are lucky to have amazing
diving right here in California. There is also the dive travel market. These markets by necessity cater to
different groups of divers and there are correspondingly different clubs even, such as the Sea Divers
who are local and the Whalers dive club that cater to travelers. The local divers tend to dive more,
but are cheap. Good luck getting rich off them. They will give you white hair from aggravation. The travelers
have more money, but dive far less, Good luck getting rich off them and they will give you the white hair of fear.
Dive gear is a bit unique in that it has to be almost like military gear. It cannot fail which also means it
rarely needs to be replaced. It's not like any motor sport where you keep breaking things and replacing them.
There's just not much money in gear. Sure, some of us play with new gadgets, but we get over that and after
you have bought good gear, which is not cheap, you tend to settle with it for a long time.
Classes? Those are largely loss leaders to get people to buy the gear. You've got to sell a lot of classes PADI
classes to make any money and much of that will go to the instructor.
Dive Boats? All boats are an aggravation to start with. you only become a dive boat operator out of love for
the sport and the sea. As I recall, Captain Tim will sell his real fast for a decent price. The upkeep and the
regulations are amazing.
Look, if you think the dive industry is a moneymaker, you are delusional. Those who do it, do it for the love
of the sport. They do if for the reason divers dive, the wonder, beauty, adventure and camaraderie.
Ya know, there is one problem with diving that bugged me. It could bring out the ego in people. Not sure,
but I suspect that is where your complaints are originating.
Oh, and Ken, the reason divers quit is because they can't take the extreme fun anymore.
I know you enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.