diver.net

Re: power plant pipes

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 15, 2016 at 20:40:54:

In Reply to: power plant pipes posted by Chirs on November 14, 2016 at 20:59:37:

I remember a news report from the early 90s about two divers who died in that pipe. Another survived in 1996.

SCUBA DIVER RESCUED FROM POWER PLANT'S INTAKE PIPE

Published: Oct. 20, 1996 12:00 a.m.

A scuba diver on a nighttime search for lobsters was sucked into a power plant's seawater intake pipe and trapped in a catch basin for two hours.

As John Vincent was stuck against the grate-covered catch basin Friday night, he drew the attention of plant workers by banging his weight belt on a valve and waving his dive light, said sheriff's deputy Guy Van Sickle.When Vincent was finally pulled out by firefighters, he had two lobsters in his hands.

Vincent, 36, of Venice, said he was diving off Dockweiler State Beach when he was caught by the flow of the plant's intake and pulled through a quarter-mile-long pipe.

"I wasn't sure where it was going to lead," Vincent said. "My heart was pumping. I looked at my air, I looked at my compass, which said I was heading east into this plant."

Vincent was not in danger of going through a pump because seawater flows by gravity into the catch basin, and pumps draw it from there into the power plant, said Ed Freudenburg, spokesman for the city Department of Water and Power. The pipe provides cooling water for power production.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to