diver.net

Dive Report: Heisler Park, Laguna Beach Sat. 9-26-17 8:30AM

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Reeb on August 28, 2017 at 21:22:01:

Upon arrival conditions looked good, a soft grey marine layer overhead, one foot rollers, flat surface conditions with reef heads visible from the Park railing. Out on the far reefs the kelp tops were spread out on the surface like palm fronds.

We suited up and headed out, planning to do an East Pinnacle to West Pinnacle traverse. I shot a compass heading to intercept the East Pinnacle from our drop down point along the Western perimeter of the kelp forest. After five minutes of fining through the kelp we were buzzed by a large Tope shark. This is my second sighting of these sharks at HP.

I found the pinnacle and as we ascended up along its East flank we encountered the largest school of fish I have ever seen on any beach dive. I captured both video and stills but I struggled to light the school correctly and only managed a partial shot: Instagram post by J. Reeb • Aug 27, 2017 at 2:26pm UTC

We circled the East pinnacle and then headed West towards the other reef. Visibility was 25-30' the whole dive and this allowed us to stay high in the water column during the swim. It is wonderful diving to hang at the mid point of the water column and see both the bottom and the surface as you look around. Later in the dive Frank said he could see the surface from a depth of 50'.

At the West pinnacle we did a lap in the Canyon and then turned the dive.

Divemetrics: 82 mins, 47FSW, 64-70F

J. Reeb
Dark-thirty Diver
818-635-4408 (text)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full