diver.net

Palos Verdes Dive Report, Jim Lyle Style

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 26, 2018 at 10:29:54:

Occasionally Mother Nature smiles upon us and brings blue water to our local mudholes. Yesterday was absolutely perfect conditions at Pt. Vicente. The kelp surrounding the pinnacles was standing tall and straight and our anchor could be seen at fifty feet from the surface. Merry and I had our 60mm lenses on, mine with a 1.4 teleconverter making it 85mm. I was hoping to capture images of the numerous rockfish we had seen flourish since the reefs became a Marine Protected Area. I guess the recent warm water forced them northward. I saw two Gopher rockfish and one treefish. I settled for shooting the variety of sponges, bryozoan and tunicates instead. At one point I looked up to see a school of Sphyraena argentea, Pacific barracuda. With 85mm I was unable to get a decent shot, but at least I saw them.

My favorite bryozoan, Disporella separata is only found in Palos Verdes on the pinnacles at Pt. Vicente.

It is normally a current swept reef, but yesterday there was no water movement at all. Visibility was forty feet with 68° temps.

We moved to Halfway Reef for our next dive. Despite the distance between the two, visibility was only twelve feet here with 57° water. A few nudis dotted the reef but it seemed anticlimactic after the first dive. Now that it is the season for clearer water, colder air temperatures and lobster traps we will continue our search for clear water.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to