diver.net

Dive Report; Biodome and Halfway Reef

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on May 02, 2019 at 09:46:32:

Taking advantage of a morning without wind, Merry and I set out just after sunrise for a couple of quick dives near Pt. Vicente. We had been thwarted the day before by wind chop, turning around after a few minutes.

Our first dive was another jump on Biodome, a life-filled rock inside the Pt. Vicente Marine Protected Area. We've had to chase off five fishing boats from the MPA this week. I talked to Fish and Wildlife about it. They said it is a popular poaching site but the docents at the Pt. Vicente Interpretive Center have been reporting violators. The Sheriffs even checked us out last week. Unfortunately, the poachers all claim to not know about the MPAs.

Back under the surface, the reef is alive and well. We didn't see any Giant Sea Bass this time, but Olive rockfish and large Sheephead continue patrolling the rock. Many species of nudibranch compete for space among the sponges and hydroids. This is what Palos Verdes used to look like.

We moved to Halfway Reef for our second dive. Although not as healthy as Biodome, Halfway Reef still has a lot to offer photographers. I even found a Conualevia alba, only the third one I've seen.

Visibility was twenty feet with 55 water temperature.

Antiopella barbarensis

Juvenile Sheephead, Semicossyphus pulcher

Flabellinopsis iodinea

Hermissenda opalescens laying eggs

Orienthella trilineata

Phoronis ijimai

Limacia mcdonaldi

Polycera atra

Spirobranchus spinosus

Norrisia norrisii

Pusula solandri

Ancula gibbosa

Scorpaena guttata

Bispira turneri

Conualevia alba

Neopetrosia zumi

Leucosolenia eleanor

Clavelina lepadiformis

Triopha catalinae

Distaplia sp.

Polycera tricolor

Hermissenda opalescens

Painted greenling,Oxylebius pictus

Unidentified anemone

Acanthodoris hudsoni

Stelletta estrella

We miss diving at God's Pocket so much that we wanted a taste of God's Pocket at home. We couldn't install an elevator on our boat so we went with the second best feature of the Hurst Isle. hot cocoa in stainless cups. :)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to