diver.net

Scuba Gods Smiled Down On Us Today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 04, 2019 at 16:35:49:

We've made five dives in the past three months, all bad dives. Since early May, a thick plankton bloom has darkened the waters around Palos Verdes. Add to that some large swells and wind and it's been a lousy year for local diving. While exercising along the strand in Redondo Beach during the pre-dawn hours this morning I thought the swells looked manageable. I went home, showered, threw my camera together, and dragged Merry down to the marina.

It was a little bouncy as we motored toward Golf Ball Reef but all work and no diving makes Phil a depressed boy. We were diving whether we liked it or not. We arrived to find the Mary Q in our parking space. We anchored off the west side of the reef, hoping to have any kind of visibility. After sinking through marine snot in the upper thirty feet we were shocked to find great conditions below. Twenty-five feet visibility, no surge and 54° made for a relaxing dive.

We looked unsuccessfully for Simnia snails among the red gorgonians but found quite a few subjects to keep out shutter fingers busy. If conditions hold, we may roll the dice again tomorrow.

Linda Blanchard, Peter Gallup and Walter Marti aboard the Mary Q

Brass collection

Pelia tumida, Dwarf Teardrop Crab

Rhinogobiops nicholsii, Blackeye goby

JuvenileOxylebius pictus, Painted Greenling

Acarnus erithacus, Red Volcano Sponge

Baptodoris mimetica

Polycera hedgepethi

Felimida macfarlandi

Doriopsilla albopunctata

Acanthodoris lutea

Thordisa rubescens