diver.net

Wreckfish Redux

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 14, 2019 at 11:28:29:

Merry and I wanted a do-over from our dives last week at Hermosa Artificial Reef and Torrance Reef. The visibility was decent but still green and dark enough that my photos were too grainy. We had to sit out several days with large surf but we had a small window yesterday to try to beat the afternoon wind.

We left the house before sunrise for Spongehenge. Visibility on the bottom was less than half of what we enjoyed last week. We couldn't see California Wreckfish (Giant Sea Bass) in the water column, but the ones on the bottom were very cooperative. A five-footer posed for a few shots before leaving the building, but the others posed for us. My photos were even grainier than last week. :(

We tried for a second dive in another area of Hermosa Reef but there were no fish. We headed to Torrance Reef after stopping to visit Lobster Don, Cathy, and Karlo on the Bottomtime.

Visibility at Torrance Reef was so bad that we missed the main part of the reef. I anchored right on my numbers but we couldn't see the reef so we swam over to a smaller section of the low rocky reef. We surfaced to a lot of wind and whitecaps. Fall can't get here soon enough.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to