diver.net

Dive Report: Near Terranea Resort, Palos Verdes, CA. 6-8-20

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff J Reeb on June 08, 2020 at 17:21:14:

We put divers on two sites near the Terranea Resort today with almost unbelievable vizibility (for PV) on Dive 2. The morning started out with fairly stiff offshore breezes that were predicted to end by mid morning. We anchored over the first reef with white caps on the surface, but true to the forecast, the wind subsided during the dive. Viz was 20'-30' "clean-green" and cold, 53F. 
We repositioned for Dive 2 and moved over to nearby kelp forest. As we got the boat settled I looked down the length of a kelp stalk and was surprised how far I could see down. I took a closer look and realized that anchored in 35' of water, I could see the bottom. Later, from the boat I could watch the divers traversing along the kelp line, that is some rare viz in PV. When the divers returned to the boat, Diver one reported the viz at 50'-60', diver two said "...30-40', ...but it was better than that in spots." This is remarkable visibility for PV. These great conditions were likely due to the offshore winds pushing the surface layer Southward, which then drew deep cold clear water up and onto the reefs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBMA2NthRDV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link  

Jeff "J." Reebdarkthirtydivers@gmail.com The Giant Stride

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to