diver.net

Merry's Three Pipe Delight and Spongehenge

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 05, 2020 at 22:19:06:

Rather than work on the boat in the heatwave, Merry and I took to the Bay for what we hoped would be better than the few feet of visibility we've had this year. We got lucky. Visibility was better than twenty feet. Our first dive was at a site Captain Andy named Merry's Three Pipe Delight. The reef is comprised of three sections of concrete pipe lost or dumped off El Segundo. The northern section is made up of a ten-foot diameter pipe laying in the sand with a broken section of pipe next to it.

About fifty feet east is a twenty feet tall section standing on its end. It is filled with sand bass. Andy said he saw them circling above the pipe during his first dive here.

Fifty feet south of the northern section are two pipes laying next to each other. Hundreds of crabs covered the crack between the pipes the last time I was here. Today there were only fish.

After fueling up in Marina del Rey we headed back to our own neighborhood to visit the Giant Sea Bass at Spongehenge. Once again, the large fish didn't seem to cooperate. There was a single GSB under the Rodeo Bar when I dropped down but it left before I could get a photo. I placed a GoPro under the Rodeo Bar and swam off to look for the big boys. I should have stayed where I was. I looked at the video when I got home and saw several visitors just a minute after I left. Merry stayed there and got a few shots.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to