diver.net

Dark...I mean Dock Dive

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 12, 2021 at 17:29:09:

We hoped to get out this morning but the waves had built overnight. I looked at the water in the marina yesterday and it was bad...really bad. I think there was more plankton than water in the soup. I left my camera set up in hope of diving today so I woke up early and walked down to the marina.

Visibility was the worst I have seen under the docks. I couldn't see the bottom unless I was touching it, which just makes things worse. I could only see about six inches in front of my camera. Staying close to our slip, I didn't find anything interesting until I spotted some bubble snail eggs. Nearby were a dozen bubble snails playing dogpile. I spent quite a bit of time there even though staring at snails can get a bit boring. They don't do a whole lot.

Last month I found a floating patch of kelp in the marina. It still had the holdfast, so I fastened it to some large rocks and planted it in front of our boat. In spite of the warm 64° water, the kelp is flourishing. The upper fronds are covered in solitary tunicates, Ciona savignyi.

After more than an hour of Braille diving, I felt my way back to my ladder and gave my gear a good washing.

Ciona savignyi

Caprella californica

Diaulula sandiegensis eggs

Navanax inermis

Aegires albopunctatus

Bulla gouldiana, Gould's Bubble snail

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: