diver.net

Where's the Reef?

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 25, 2021 at 18:10:00:

Unless you are carrying a camera with a macro lens you would take one look at the reef we were diving today and think we were crazy. This small patch of life off Torrance Beach barely rises more than a few inches off the sand. There are no rocks capable of holding kelp. The largest animals we usually see here are scruffy gorgonians. If you didn't have a camera you would probably swim past the reef looking for something interesting. Why would we dive such a spot?

This oasis attracts fish, nudibranchs, crabs, and snails from somewhere beyond the sand that surrounds it. We find animals here that we rarely see south of El Segundo. Last week, Merry found a large halibut. Today there were dozens of calico bass, sheepshead, sand bass, and scorpionfish flitting about. It's a fun little reef, but it wasn't our first choice. It wasn't even our second choice.

We headed north early this morning to beat the wind. We arrived at the outfall pipes off El Segundo only to find green water with one foot of visibility. We turned around and headed for the south side of Palos Verdes. As we neared Rocky Point I decided it was too late to make it to Point Vicente without getting beat up on the way home. I turned around again and headed for Torrance Beach. It felt as if nothing was going right today. Fortunately, I was wrong.

Visibility was thirty-five feet and we found enough subjects to keep us busy until our pressure gauges made us head up.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to