diver.net

Re: Boat Ramp, Boat Ramp, Boat Ramp!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on December 14, 2021 at 08:47:00:

In Reply to: Boat Ramp, Boat Ramp, Boat Ramp! posted by Always Diving on December 08, 2021 at 12:38:25:

The boat ramp is really likely. The general thinking is that the coastal commission will not approve the plan without it. Some think that they will also want to see other improvements for boat access: dry storage, improved launches for small boats, whatever. Personally, if there is storage on land and better launching space, I'd like to see it be flexible, because boating changes. Right now SUPs are really popular and fishing kayaks seem to be getting more popular and larger and large in size, I'm not sure if they need a better hand launch or boat ramp or what. Hope some kayakers show up and weigh in.

The boat ramp is likely to go somewhere in the turning basin near the mouth of the harbor, perhaps where Joe's Crab Shack is now. It's a small area. That area may need to hold a ramp, a new sport fishing dock, seaside lagoon, and a hand launch. The whole goal of this exercise is to figure out what residents want, make maps, see where it fits, see where people want stuff.

My big question on the boat ramp is, if we get a ramp, is it OK if the hoist goes away? yes, it's expensive and the hours are limited. (there is a discount book for Redondo residents). But some people don't like putting their trailer in salt water, and some just prefer to have help launching their boat. We've heard from some older people who won't be able to launch at a ramp, it would really suck to end boating for them.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to