diver.net

A few interesting lobster tidbits I really didn't think about.

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on October 14, 2023 at 06:58:46:

A gent named Phil Herranen posted some very interesting comments on Facebook. I've never paid a
great deal of attention to lobster biology (I prefer studying econiderms and seaweed), but I do
know that crustaceans are notorious cannibals, so this makes sense.

Virtually all lobster over 8# are males and are one of the major predators of small lobster. By
the time they get that size they have breed for over 70 years and in reality are too large to
breed with all but the largest females. The reality is it would be much better foe the population
to release all the 3# and up females and keep all the large males. And large lobster eating urchins
is largely in real life not true since the lobster avoid the Barrens because all the other food
they eat is absent (just like how otters don't eat urchins in the Barrens)

One other thing. If you do release a lobster that has been taken out of the water for longer than
a minute or two, you really need to take it to the swim step and hold it upside down and rock it
around until all the air is out of the carapace. They have no mechanism to naturally get air out
and a aquarium friend told me that they have a very high mortality rate at least at the aquarium
if they don't get all the air out before putting lobster in their tanks.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to