Re: Kayak diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on March 21, 2005 at 20:50:49:

In Reply to: Kayak diving posted by Mac on March 21, 2005 at 15:45:57:

Hi there,
I have a Wildnerness Tarpon 120 model and like it a lot! I've only been diving with it a handful of times, basically because it's tough to find a kayak diving buddy. (So if any of you ever want to go, hit me up!)
I really like the features of the kayak- lots of space and it's fairly thoughtfully designed. I can hold all the gear I need in and still have plenty of room.

The fold up seat is kinda cool but it broke on my first ever time using it when the kayak rolled in the surf, so it's a bit dumb. I haven't fixed it yet, but it works fine when I prop it up and lean back into it.

The kayak does feel a bit more unstable then other models and I have to take care not to tip it when I'm moving around, but I've never tipped it while out paddling around (just in the surf zones).

Overall, I really like it. It's speedy and does the job well. Putting two tanks into it would be a trick, though; I'm not sure how you'd manage that, but perhaps with a little ingenuity you could figure it out. Possibly put it by putting it across your lap?

Theobold's book is a pretty cool resource but I think you could probably dig up just as much information online. There's one site I found that I could probably find if I searched a bit that had a lot of good tips and tricks and suggestions.

Speaking on this subject, do any kayak divers out there have any recommendations on good depth finders to see the bottom terrain?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]