Hate 'em (drysuits)

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cpt Ahab on April 21, 2005 at 09:58:40:

In Reply to: Wanting drysuit feedback.. posted by Hilary on April 20, 2005 at 03:46:53:

But drysuits keep me warmer, not just in the water but between dives so I use them (IMHO, stopping the between-dive heat loss is my best benefit from tolerating ALL the other negatives to drysuits).

On clear sunny days, I often get overheated in my drysuit: zip the suit up; don the weight harness; don the tank/BC; clip the game bag; clip the light; clip the other stuff; put the hood on; Oops overheated; undergarmet wet with perspiration; now potentially cold in the water.

Forget the drysuit during lobster season - can get the big one in the little hole; and the suit gets too torn up from urchins, reef, etc chasing bugs. Can you say, "LEAK"!

IMHO, considerable increased drag is caused by my neopene drysuit. I waste more air because of this. Swimming against even a slight current makes me feel like I'm pushing a blocking sled back on the football gridiron. Wastes a lot of air.

Feel the seal around my neck, psychologically bugs me (even with my neoprene neck seal.) Adding the hood makes the neck feeling worse. Beware, too tight a neck seal and blood flow to your carotid arteries supplying your brain may be impaired to the point of unconsciousness - not a good thing below water nor floating on the sea.

IMHO, off the shelf drysuit hoods poorly keep your head warm. Therefore ordering a custom made hood is a given.

You'll have to buy new larger fins.

It goes on and on.

I love diving wet. I especially love diving southern Calif's warmer waters.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]