Re: Buddy Diving - Is three a crowd ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on July 07, 2000 at 19:08:23:

In Reply to: Re: Buddy Diving - Is three a crowd ? posted by Clinton Bauder on July 07, 2000 at 14:46:27:

Clinton,

Your complains about my grammer is irrelevent to anything in diving. Keep on plugging. If we look at the last four local accidents we can see that they all would have had a high likelyhood of survival had their buddy(s) been there for them.

Examples: last month a diver died at the Avolon park during a solo dive after suggestions where made to him that he should dive with a bubby. He did'nt and his dead corpse was recovered approximently a week later.
Last week a diver died after attemting to dive solo at Palo Verve.
David Welch died at one of our local oil rigs after signaling to his buddies he was going up. None of them choose to stick with him to the surface. He made it up but then sank back down before the divemaster could reach him. His 21 year old body was never recovered for his family to bury.
Nathen Roth died in March after telling his buddies he was'nt feeling good and was going back to the beach. He was pounded by the surf that night and drown. His body was recovered. Had his buddies stuck with him they could have assisted each other back in.

Seahunt said the rule of thirds was a cave diving rule. I agree it is but it is also used in other diving invironmnets. I never said this gas supply rule should aply to shallow recreational diving. I said it is used in Advanced diving, which is well beyond your realm. In my intent, I was giving an example of worse case senario v.s. the typical rule taught by most recreational agencies, turn at 1000psi come up at 500psi. Though a simple rule that most can remember it is not adequate in flowing waters of rough seas, including surf. Thes erule do not reserve enough gas to successfully assist another diver at this 1000psi turn pressure.

Ironic that you would choose not to dive with me and my two buddies because we carried to much gas. No one ever died from having to much gas. You need to get some education on the three man team. I'm willing to sit down with anyone of you willing to listen and show you the logic behind it. I'd imagine that if any of you have attended any of the DIR demos that it has been brought up. If not, it should have been.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]