Re: Anonymity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on September 09, 2000 at 00:31:16:

In Reply to: Re: Slang ID posted by Ken Kurtis on September 07, 2000 at 18:21:46:

For the record, I prefer to remain Eins.
I've made some not so pleasant experience on another BBS with a person who, let's say, needs professional help, and since then I prefer not to share my full name or details publicly.

What I do is continuously post under the same moniker (I changed back and forth from Eins to Jusfer to Eins for this same, sick person), which makes me predictable just like your name makes you predictable. I feel, Eins makes me just as little or as much anonymous as someone who calls himself Ken Kurtis. I happen to know you personally, and if you remember, you know me*, but I might as well never have met you and not even know if it is your proper name.

Credentials may help in evaluating one's message, they may also help to intimidate someone with lesser credentials. Which is another reason why I prefer not to use any (not saying that mine would intimidate).

I also use a real e-mail address. Some say it is an anonymous address, but I monitor it constantly, I can be contacted by it, and I use it for a reason (spam, privacy, protection).

In that respect, I used to be less anonymous, but the Internet has taught me to adapt.

Eins

*I'm the one who offered to do next Thursday's 11AM and 1PM presentations in TR.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]