Re: Who said the victim dived deeper? (I did.)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 14, 2000 at 19:43:12:

In Reply to: Who said the victim dived deeper? posted by Eins on November 14, 2000 at 13:07:48:

(Eins posted) He could have died at 60m and sunk down after drowning.

Arno, since I'm the one who implied he dived deeper than his plan, let me briefly tell you why I came to that conclusion, and doubt that he merely sunk deeper. (And I start with the caveat that I personally am NOT cave-certified.)

First of all, based on the report, remember that we're talking a difference of 150 vertical feet (200 feet planned, 350 feet where the body was recovered).

Unless he passed out over a shaft that dropped 150' (and I think if that was the case the report would have mentioned that he was found at the bottom of a shaft), I am under the assumption that, like many caves and caverns, this one has a sloping bottom with turns and relatively small drops along the way.

Starting with that thought as my topographical assumption, and assuming no sudden vertical drop (let alone one of 150'), that's why I assume he either penetrated much further than he'd planned to get that deep, or simply got turned around and thought in was out, which also would have taken him much deeper into the cave.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]