Re: Solo discussion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 08, 2001 at 11:47:58:

In Reply to: Re: Solo discussion posted by AADIVER on February 08, 2001 at 11:07:27:

Frank,

That was the third body that I pulled from the ocean in less that 2 years, the other two were recreational diver's. One at Santa Barbara and one at Farnsworth and with respect to the Andrea Doria dive he aborted on the descent at about 100' and that was enough for me...

Furthermore, while that was the triggereing incident for me, after analyzing the many fatalities since then I believe that I made the right decision. While I believe that many diver's are capable of doing a solo dive when everything goes according to plan, it's simply when something goes wrong all too many are ill-equipped to handle the problem.

However the macho thing replaces sound judgement and then you start hearing the bizarre justifications, the verbal gymnastics and the like. Frank, you and I are just getting to know each other and I appreciate that you don't recommend anyone follow your diving habits and I hope that you never find yourself in a situation that you can't handle. With all due respect, you are advancing in age and I think you'd be the first to admit that you aren't in the same shape you once were so I worry that even though you have crafted your technique over such a period of time I hope that should something happen you can get yourself to the surface...

If for no other reason that you won't want me talking about you should it happen ;-)

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]