Re: Farnsworth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 02, 2000 at 17:47:52:

In Reply to: Re: Farnsworth posted by Ken Kurtis on March 01, 2000 at 11:13:24:

Ken,

As you know, you and I have a fundamental disagreement about moorings. I strongly bleieve that many of our sites should be mooring'd and you believe otherwise.

That aside, I'm curious as to how you juxtapose your comments about needing special permits for net removal and the fact that such net removal may result in damage to the coral, but are silent as to the fact that the anchor and the anchor lines continually dropping and going up and down cause more damage than us removing a few nets.

Moreover, once a proper mooring is installed it would eliminate the anchor line from going up and down in the swells from ripping apart the coral.

I had an occassion last week to work on the anchor that was stuck. It took me 13 minutes to free it and all the while the line was bobbing up and down and wrecking the coral.

My view is that there should be a mooring line installed to be used by commercial boat operators. If a small fee is charged and ONLY commercial boats can use it, NOT fishing boat that don't need to be anchored on the top of the reef, this would save much of the wasteful carnage that is attacking farnsworth and many other fine SoCal sites..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]