Re: Naui or Padi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by floorcookie on May 21, 2001 at 17:43:56:

In Reply to: Re: Naui or Padi posted by Divenerd on May 21, 2001 at 17:27:59:

One good thing about PADI is the written/supplemental material. They have way more literature than NAUI. I'm not sure if this is a valid argument for choosing PADI over NAUI but I personally learn a lot from reading and have found their books easy to read with all the relevant information and good food for thought.

Another thing (and I'll need backup on this since the guy that told it to me was a PADI instructor) is that PADI has a much more standardized approach to the OW cert. NAUI instructors have more lee-way to alter the class. I would think that, if this is true, I would rest easier in a referral situatuion (ie. take classroom and pool here, open-water portion somewhere else). Also, I got certified in Santa Clara at the same time as my Dad in Seattle. Since we both took PADI classes we had very similar training experiences. I have talked to NAUI-trained divers who report varying styles/methods/requirements for the OW cert. So I guess, consistency, might be an argument in favor of PADI.

Having said that, I believe that most NAUI instructors (underline most) take the extra lee-way given to them by the agency and make the class a little more demanding/difficult. So the argument could be made that they are slightly better trained.

In my opinion, an OW cert is a great way to start, but don't stop. Get your Advanced and I REALLY recommend Rescue. And just dive. Most agree that the point in which most divers start to feel comfortable with bouyancy, air consumption, etc. occurs somewhere between dive 20 and dive 30.

All IMHO, of course. -- floorcookie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]