Re: Golden Days of Cailifornia Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on June 06, 2001 at 17:03:31:

In Reply to: Golden Days of Cailifornia Diving posted by Jon Davies on June 05, 2001 at 22:22:10:

"The Golden Age of Diving".
I not sure if that is not now. I started diving after going to Lake Mead and chasing bass. That was in 1972, while I was still in high school and I have been hooked on it ever since.
The biggest difference I see, is the lack of Abalones. Many things have led to that though. Poaching, Withering Food Syndrome, Poaching, and the fact that they are hemophiliacs (many, many, divers would cut the Abs and then put them back, but they still died). I saw my first Black Sea Bass last year at SBI. My first White Sea Bass about 10 years ago. So some things are getting better. Sorry off on a crusade.
When my old partner Roy Kaiser still owned the "Rio Rita" he took us to Cortez Banks. This was around 1977 or so. I was diving with Josh (? Don't remember his last name) and the valleys that we there we incredible. Long eelgrass that was swinging back and fourth. You could go into the channels, but if you turned your head, the surge would take your mask off and that was at 90'. We were of course looking for bugs. Josh and I went by a crevasse and Josh looked at me like I was crazy. He turned and pulled out about a ten-pound bug. I just did not see it.
Cortez is still very spectacular. Tanner Banks though is my all time favorite dive. The first time I dove it was about 3 year ago. We had 150' + vis, with ripping currents. Red Coral everywhere and Yellow Tails playing "Chicken" with me. Chris, while decompressing had the opportunity to see an entire school of Blue Fin Tuna swim past him. Still not sure if the "Golden Days" aren't here, now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]