Re: Teachers and Fundamentals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 11, 2001 at 19:31:29:

In Reply to: Re: Teachers and Fundamentals posted by MHK on June 11, 2001 at 18:00:33:

MHK wrote:"Most, if not all, PADI instructors teach the mask R & R while all the students are sitting in either a circle or all in front of the instructor.. That's by-in-large what is happening. Then they tell the student to take the mask off and then replace it.. Obviously *mastering* this skill is subjective, but for the most part if it gets back on the student passes.."

Mike, you are one of several posters on various NGs that seem to thrive on PADI bashing every chance you get. Perhaps you had a bad OW1 instructor. My instructor, Rich Zielinski, pulled my mask off from behind during a low vis checkout dive at Isthmus Reef. Every time I would locate my mask, he would move it farther out of my reach with each attempt to grab it. I didn't panic, and after a couple minutes, he let me retrieve it. That's exactly what he wanted to see. I made nearly 500 dives before I decided to take AOW. All through my courses up to AI, I met some very good instructors who would not give out a C-card until they felt the student was qualified. I remember one student who took 11 months to get her OW1 certification. I'm sure there are bad PADI instructors. I just haven't had the misfortune to meet any.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]