Re: Computers allow more BT than tables, period.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 25, 2001 at 13:02:39:

In Reply to: Re: Computers allow more BT than tables, period. posted by Steve on July 24, 2001 at 21:52:06:

Steve,

I think the point you are missing, whether it's a Suunto or not, is that the computer algorithms are NOT the absolute be end and end all of NDL limits so you are comparing apples to oranges...

Clearly, when strictly limiting your basis of comparison, to tables and a computer you'll likely end up with more allowable BT with the computer. The reason for that is because the computer accounts for the ascent and descent, and any other varying depths. Whereas the tables compute based on planned not actual...

The dive industry has perputrated this insanity on diver's all to get them to buy a $400 gadget. Think about how many diver's own computers and then multiply by ~ $400.. It is fiscally incentivized to keep the myth going...

My question to you , and answer yourself honestly, is do you believe that if you did a profile in the manner that I have suggested, ie; proper gases, deep stops and calcultaing on the fly, that if your computer said you were at your NDL and I told you that you could still stay down that your computer would be right????

The thing that strikes me as strange about te reliance on the device is that everyone believes the absolute of the computer but yet ignores the fact that there are so many variables within a computer algorithm...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]