Re: You probably had that problem because ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on August 14, 2001 at 13:14:58:

In Reply to: You probably had that problem because ... posted by Bob3 on August 14, 2001 at 04:06:16:

Bob3, there are several advantages to a one piece harness.

1. it requires only about $10.00 worth of webbing and a simple grommet. A stiched harness with all the fancy brass rings and stuff typically cost $70.00 on up.

2. a one piece harness is easier than a stiched harness to escape from. You simply unbuckle it, stick your fingers in the d-ring on the shoulders and pull it away. A stiched harness flops around more making it tougher to clear from your body.

3. Chest straps typically found on stiched harnesses will inhibit chest expansion. This is a problem when a diver needs to increase work load, i.e. current.

4. A one piece harness is cheap and simple to change and doesn't require a special order from company's like Dive-Rite or OMS. All one need to do is buy 10' or so of webbing (if your my size), pop a hole in the middle of it and web it through. I choose to put a grommet in the hole but its not manditory. A grommet kit cost about $10.00. Scuba Toys has one and if you need a harness Jim can put a groumet in for you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]