Drinking and diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 16, 2001 at 11:56:10:

In Reply to: Re: Using "a degreaser like 409 or Simple Green" posted by Steve on August 15, 2001 at 22:40:43:

I drink Diet Coke, but I would not be happy if it was poured into my tank. Non-toxic for drinking is different than non-toxic for high pressure breathing.

I think it was Alert Diver last year that had the article about disinfecting scuba gear and which cleaners had which set of problems. The problems were usually associated with residue at high pressure rather than at 1 ata. For the same reason I fear the chemical residue in my air.

Rather than just to put the bad mouth on a particular cleaning agent, let me tell you what I would do if I were cleaning my own tanks. I would probably use Beyond 2005 made by Today & Beyond. It is a cleaner made especially for removing grease, oils, silicone and flourinated oils, smoke type carbon and perflourinated grease. It is for use in making metals suitable for oxygen use. It is non toxic (no SARA-313 listing), non-corrosive, non-phosphorous, biodegradable, free rinsing, and does not leave a residue. It comes with its MSDS when shipped.

I would rinse with hot D.I. water.

Using household cleaners with their less than total disclosure of extra ingredients (coloring agents, perfumes, etc.) seems to be foolhardy in my book. Better to select the right agent for the job.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]