More Gator madness

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on August 28, 2001 at 15:07:49:

In Reply to: Re: Ankle weights "training wheels"? More GUE derision posted by mike on August 27, 2001 at 22:00:29:

I can count at least three types of "gaiters" that I own, and I don't even own a pair for diving.

I have several pairs of "ski gaiters" for snow skiing in inappropriate attire (a la shorts), to keep the snow out of the boots. I also double these for my boots when ice climbing. I'd much rather slice a gator than my exposure suit.

I have two pair of "thorn gaiters" for keeping the blood from getting on my boots in yucca country. They also work really well for keeping ticks from crawling up the legs of your pants (on the inside). I almost always wear white pants in tick country (thank you thrift stores) so I can catch the ones crawling up the outside. Ticks suck!

I also have a single pair of "snake gaiters" for wearing when trying to map in rattler country. They're horribly uncomfortable, basically a tube of stiff plastic. I generally don't use them, but I did a project up here in the foothills where the prof required them (and a good thing too, never seen so many tailshakers).

I wouldn't even try to use any of them for diving. They just are way different than the diving versions. The diving versions are stiff and fit tight. None of the sets I have are tight, and all somewhat flexible (except the snakes). I think I'd suggest someone make their own pair from raw materials (nylon and velcro are cheap) before I'd try adapting any of the others.

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]