Re: A thought for the day.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on September 14, 2001 at 09:45:18:

In Reply to: A thought for the day....... posted by GLnSD on September 14, 2001 at 08:29:26:

I really appreciate the sentiments expressed here. I also understand the perspectives. I don't think they're quite accurate, though. Having lived much of my life overseas, I know that many in the world have great respect for our country. Many work tirelessly for the chance to send their children here for education or a better life. They buy our government debt when they're scared. They dress like us, listen to (and pirate) our music, worship our movie stars and envy our way of life. The leadership of many countries need to maintain a distance from us for all kinds of reasons. I don't think that truly reflects what many in those countries believe about us. Just as the smartest best looking wealthiest kid in school attracts jealousy and false friends, we engender envy and anger as well as admiration. How we manage that reality dictates the net balance of world opinion on our strengths and weaknesses. The game is ours to win or loose.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]