Re: Baggage inspection

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 17, 2001 at 13:23:25:

In Reply to: More on dive boat passenger id and baggage inspection posted by Chris on September 17, 2001 at 11:55:26:

A couple of the captains have been in touch with the local MSO (Marine Safety Officer) for the USCG and their concern does not seem to be dive gear. They're well aware that we travel with knives, spearguns, potentially explosive tanks, etc.

They are more concerned with dry gear and have asked that anything "unusual" be reported. Now as to what consiustutues "unusual" . . . therein lies the rub.

It seems to me most of the local boats are doing an ID check (bring your drivers license with you) and perhaps a cursory bag check. However, I also know of one diver who boarded a boat Saturday who had no identification with him and was Middle Eastern. He was asked to have his bags looked at and complied.

Masybe I'm just being naive but, aside from the obvious pain & grieving over the loss of life, I'm so sad to see that it's seeemingly become official government policy for us not to trust each other and, in fact, to be suspicious until proved otherwise. I'm concerned that when we allow our inherent trust in one another to die, we've allowed the terrorists a victory.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]