Re: California Wreck Diver's DIR Demo

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MikeR on September 21, 2001 at 16:05:27:

In Reply to: Re: California Wreck Diver's DIR Demo posted by tleemay on September 21, 2001 at 13:35:03:

What would get our attention is gear that makes it easier to dive wrecks and all that entails. While I give some a good natured hard time about their old gear, I don't have an answer why they shouldn't dive something that has proven itself over a long time. Money is not really an object for most if a certain gear config is seen as making them more effective. Safety might get some initial attention but as far as results are concerned, everybody is safe without all the normal trappings that the cert agencies supply. You DM'ed the recent GE trip to the Moody, but the results would have been the same if you stood at the gate and checked em off or not. (You did a fine job and it was a nice novelty having a DM for a change.) I would say that this group is more receptive than most to new knowledge in the field of diving and would definitely alter their style if they were doing something that they could see was counterproductive to wreck diving. Just remember that safer is not a reason within itself if an individuals technique is proven and already has a margin of safety. Most of us dive like you and Mike do (did?) and not like the typical sport diver who is down there to sight see. No barriers are put in place unless they mean something to that individual.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]