this may sound like an obvious question....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on October 10, 2001 at 10:06:02:

In Reply to: Thanks MHK and I looked at 'are you ready for advanced training' posted by Tim O'Rielly on October 10, 2001 at 09:43:13:

but may I ask what your experience level is and what your objectives are? From what I've read, it sounds like you're interested in taking an AOW (advanced open water) class then going on to some more advanced training in the tech arena. Based on that assumption, here's my advice:

If you are talking about AOW this is what you will get in a PADI class: 5 dives which include a deep dive (100'), a night dive and a navigation dive. For the last 2 dives you get to choose from a menu of other options such as photography or naturalist. If you've never been night diving or gone deep, this is a great way to get an introduction under the direct supervision of an instructor. Don't expect to learn a bunch of stuff though, this class is strictly to give you hands on experience in an unfamiliar environment. Once you have your AOW, you can proceed on to other levels. However, instead of going right on to a rec tech course or it's equivalent at the other agencies (Mike, Terry stop laughing please), I would advise you take a rescue course first. Learning how to take care of yourself and your dive buddy in an emergency is the first step you should take before getting any other advanced training - advanced training that will lead you into more risky environments and situations where the margin for error is much smaller.

Hope that helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]