Re: Need input to reach advanced

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on October 10, 2001 at 11:05:44:

In Reply to: Need input to reach advanced posted by Tim O'Rielly on October 09, 2001 at 14:54:16:

Tim;

Acclimization to narcosis is an often cited preparation for deep diving. It's a myth. The physiological process of narcosis happens without regard to experience or the perception of adaptation. You may become more comfortable with the impairment, but the effect on motor and brain function is still there. That's the really insidious thing about narcosis, it lulls you into the illusion that you're OK but robs you of the ability to handle problems that take you by surprise. If any instructor you come across suggests you can adapt to narcosis, run away.

People have been surviving deep air diving for decades. That's not because they adapted, it's because they functioned despite the impairment. Like drunk driving down a straight road, you're OK until you have to make a split second decision you weren't expecting. Only then do you realize how sluggish your brain has become. There's no reason to take that risk in the first place because you can virtually eliminate narcosis by other means.

Oh, and anyone who wants to get into it with me, save yourself the embarrassment of citing the Mount-Milner test. Just trust me on this, I know what I'm talking about.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]