displacement is displacement

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on September 07, 2002 at 21:55:29:

In Reply to: Boyle's is Boyle's, but neoprene is not all bubbles posted by Eins on September 07, 2002 at 21:27:54:

As I wrote way down the board, wetsuit material does not compress exactly as predicted by Boyle. I think it is mostly because the small bubles are contained in a rubber structure which resists compression and prevents the bubbles from acting solely on external pressure.

But that being said, I think you are wrong about the buoyancy reduction coming from the gas and not the rubber. ("Buoyancy does not come from (heavy) rubber, it comes from the bubbles.")

In a simplistic way of looking at it, the suit displaces some volume of water. It also has some weight. The difference between its weight and the buoyant forces from its displacement is how much it wants to float.

At depth, the suit will compress some (let's assume it is 1/2 of Boyle's effect on a gas). The suit now displaces less water but still weighs the same. The only difference is the displacement. OK, so it is a bit nit picky, but I can't help myself. It is withdrawal since I did not dive this weekend.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]