I bought my hoop nets because...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on October 03, 2002 at 16:54:08:

In Reply to: From a dedicated fishing tackle store.... posted by Ed on October 03, 2002 at 14:48:12:

The brother of a friend gets so many bugs in his.

He gets them off PV DURING DAYLIGHT!!!

He goes to the cove and uses them where the water is so murky that it looks like milk. He has a little boston whaler and goes where larger boats do not dare and where no diver could dive because of murkiness. The bugs are out in the daylight in those places. He gets 5 - 7 bugs per net on the first drop. Then it drops to 2 - 3 after that. He runs about 5 nets at a time. Of course most are shorts, but he gets his limit of legals almost every day he goes out.

I never had much luck, but I think it is because my pulling technique is deficient. He is very careful about the slack in the line and being exactly over the net when he pulls. (When I did this alone, it was hard to put the boat where I wanted and them get back to the cockpit and pull. When with a buddy, I always had trouble getting him to pull when we were above the net.) He also claims that they can hear him coming so he coasts to the buoy. It sounds silly to me, but he is successful and I am not. All I know is that after every frustrating eveing, I tossed a few dead mackerals in and helped feed this years crop of bugs.

In the way of bait: He uses carcasses from filleting gamefish. I used frozen mackeral. I often wondered if my problems were associated with my bait being too fresh. They are easy to work with. Simply use my cordless drill to drill a 1/4 hole thru the frozen fish and attach the fish with a ty-rap. If I try the nets this year, I will endeavor to use a better stink bait.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]