diver.net

I don't THINK so....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Deb Karimoto on September 16, 2005 at 11:35:09:

In Reply to: Re: All divers and fishermen have to help on this one! posted by XOX on September 16, 2005 at 09:24:19:

XOX,

I disagree that dive boat owners should disallow spearfishing from their boats. Spearfishing IS a part of diving for many and the dive boat operators as well as spearfishers have every right to participate.

It's been stated before but bears repeating that spearfishing is a very eco-friendly form of fishing since it is target specific and one can judge whether the intended take is already legal size. Comparatively, hook and line fishing can be pretty much a crap shoot regarding what actually comes up at the end of the line. Even so, H&L is better than many other forms of fishing since it doesn't do much damage to the reefs and ocean bottom.

Back to spearfishing... I've never done it myself but I defend others' right to do it.

As to abolishing fishing of all forms on the front-side of Catalina, fishers have a right to equal access. Why is it that divers spend more time on the front-side of Catalina? Well, calmer conditions (safety), less cost, less time, and convenience all come to mind. Why should fishers have to spend more time and money, and jeopardize their safety when we can all share the same waters on the front-side?

How would the dive community react if fishers wanted to abolish diving on the front-side of Catalina? Can you imagine? Therefore, it's unrealistic to expect fishers to stay out of the front-side.

Equal access for all, OK? We can get along just fine with mutual respect and common courtesy for each other, as well as a respect for the DFG laws.

Thanks for considering these ideas,

Debbie Karimoto
OC Divebums

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the