diver.net

NAUI PADI DM questions

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik J. Lindstrohm on March 19, 2006 at 17:56:06:

I am writing a paper on scuba diving and the aspects of really working in the business. So I am calling on all you NAUI and PADI DM's. A general set of questions for those of you who work the boats regularly here in CA that involves the issue of to what degree of responsibility are you expected to possess as a Dive Master?

Say you are a DM for a shop and you have been asked to work a day trip to Catalina or SBI. As the official DM on the boat, what are your specific responsibilities designated to you by the agency you were certified by, and by the shop you work for or otherwise represent on the trip? Some bullet points to aid in my research paper data are;

• Since you are representing the shop, do you have the right, and are you expected to exercise that right, to cancel a trip because you feel the conditions were not ideal to conduct the dives?

• As the DM, once again representing the shop, are you expected to not let any diver on the boat you feel is a threat or otherwise problematic in their attitude that could affect the other customers on the trip?

• Again, as the DM, are you expected to not let any diver on the boat you feel is a danger to himself or others around him?

• If an accident occurs on your trip and a diver is injured, are you as the DM, required to take a drug test along with everyone else on the boat that was responsible in any way for the advanced safety or rescue of the injured diver as per the Coast Guard's request?

Please respond here since I do not wish to be bothered by insulting personal email from trouble makers. Thank you for your time and effort. Erik Lindstrohm. Santa Monica BC.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to