diver.net

Re: Math doesn't work

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on July 28, 2006 at 16:27:48:

In Reply to: Math doesn't work posted by Ken Kurtis on July 28, 2006 at 15:56:00:

Otter can comment on where she got the $.37 figure, but the facts of the day otter refers to was that the crew split around $60 of which $30 was from us and $20 from another diver. There were 21 divers, excellent service and great diving, so using your math, there should be $105 to $210, not $60.

I usually don't see the crew tip split, but was aboard getting my gear after everyone had left and noticed the low tip distribution. Surprised, I asked the Captain and he told me that often on the best weather days he has observed that the tips go down...completely counter intuitive.

I see dive operators in other areas 'recommend' a tip percentage or dollar amount as part of their literature or briefing materials. Its great that your shop does this and I suspect that many other shops and instructors do so also. For visitors or infrequent divers, maybe they just don't know the practice.

Also, Ken, if you include tips on foreign trips, why not local ones?

Maybe the boats should post a sign suggesting a crew tip...? Maybe they should just charge more and pay their crew more...?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to